Orange chicken recipe as promised! My one tweak on this is lighten up on the red pepper flakes. It was a bit much.
Orange Chicken Recipe
- 1 pounds uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 2-inch strip
- 2 cup cooked white rice, kept hot (I used brown for more nutritional value)
- Rind of a small orange sliced into thin strips
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup canned chicken broth, reduced-sodium
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp peanut oil
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 medium scallions, chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or 1 dried chili pepper, minced
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- In a bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, broth, sugar, cornstarch, ginger, and vinegar, then set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat peanut oil on medium-high heat. Add orange rinds, scallions, garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for about 2 minutes. Add in the chicken and cook for approximately 5 minutes, or until chicken is golden brown.
- Now mix in the sauce and let simmer until the chicken is cooked all the way through and the sauce starts to get thick, this should take approximately 3-4 minutes.
- On a plate, serve chicken and sauce over rice and garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Again for those who care: a serving size is 1 cup of chicken and 1/2 cup of rice and is 6 points.